Moving Estimate & Cancellation Policy
Understanding Your Moving Estimate
How Selective Vanlines evaluates your move:
Mileage x Volume (CF) x Complexity = Estimate
The price of the mileage depends on how far you are moving from origin to destinations, additional stops are determined in your rate.
The price of volume depends on how much cubic feet your possessions are occupying on the truck. Please keep in mind that not all household items are the same size. You can always update your inventory list as much as needed and this can be done up to 72 hours before the date of your move. The foremen may adjust the cubic footage during a walkthrough before the move.
How Do I Calculate My Cubic Footage?
(Cubic foot = length x width x height divided by 1728).
The complexity of your move will determine this price. Do you have an elevator or stairs? Are you moving glass household goods? This will all factor into your price.
What’s included in a standard long-distance move?
- Disassembly & Reassembly of BASIC Furniture – Please note this will not include any complicated pieces of furniture, such as IKEA furniture, unless specified in the quote.
- Loading & Unloading
- Blankets/ Protective Pads: The use of blankets & padding, belts, ties, and straps for added protection of your furniture is at no additional charge to the customer. Please not that this does not include mattress, glass, mirrors, or electronics protection unless otherwise specified.
- Stairs: The first 7 flights are free (7 steps = 1 flight)
- Binding Estimate: In a binding estimate,
- Tolls, Mileage, and Fuel and Taxes (unless otherwise noted)
- Basic Liability Coverage up to $10,000 ($0.60/lb. per article) for any additional coverage, please advise your sales rep.
What’s not included in the estimate?
The following services and rates ARE NOT included in your move:
- Stairs: The first 7 flights are free (7 steps = 1 flight) Each additional flight $50.00* Inside flights in a single-family home are no charge.
- Long Carry: Each 70 ft. $70.00. Depending on where our truck is parked to your door, if it’s 70 feet or more, an additional charge of $70.00 per every 70 feet will apply to your total.
- Elevator fee: $75.00 per each stop or origin/destination location.
- Shuttle service: If your destination location cannot accept an 18-wheel semi-trailer and requires a shuttle, an additional charge of $0.50 per cu ft. will be added to your total to transfer your items, with a minimum charge of $400.00.
- Warehouse fee: A $200.00 warehouse fee is to be charged to any customer coming into the warehouse. Straight-deliveries will not be charged a warehouse fee.
- Re-delivery: $0.50 per cu ft. (minimum of $400.00) Full re-handling/delivery fees are applied when the carrier must make a second attempt to deliver the property if for any reason the shipper did not accept delivery on the first attempt. Please note: Any customer who changes their storage order automatically gets charged a re-delivery fee.
- Waiting service: Each hour of waiting is $150.00 per hr. Full day of waiting will result to a $650.00 charge. Please note: Carrier has full discretion whether to wait for shipper or not.
- Additional Packing: If the option for a “Full Pack” move was not selected, packing materials such as bubble wrap, boxes, tape, shrink wrap, mattress covers, glass or TV crates, etc. are an additional charge. Packing materials will only be charged based on what will be used for your move and according to the packing material order form.
- Bulky item: Bulky items are subjected to an accessorial charge.
This denotes any items that cannot be stacked on top of or beneath. It’s a special item that is tricky shaped and/or likely to be extra-large in size. (i.e., treadmill, canoe, extra fragile floor based* items etc.)
• Piano handling fees:
• upright piano– $450.00;
• baby grand piano – $450.00;
• grand and over-sized piano – Please advise sales rep*
Please note that this does not include packing or the weight of the item.
- Motorcycle handling fee – $300.00 additional charge. Please note that this does not include packing or the weight of the item.
- Storage: First 30 days of storage is at no charge to the customer. Term in storage will be charged at a monthly rate of $1.25 per cu ft, with a minimum charge of $500.00. Storage fees will be calculated from the day of the pickup.
For instance, if your pickup date was July 21 and you need storage for “x” number of months—your first payment is required 30 days after your pickup, which in this case would be August 21.
To stop storage fees please notify the office 10 days before storage expires, or next month storage fee will apply.
Storage fees are prorated.
Cancellation Fee: After the bill of lading (contract) has been signed and the services have begun neither the customer nor Moving Services Corp may unilaterally cancel the contract without paying a cancellation fee.
Many times and for many reasons customers or moving companies need to cancel the moving service. In such cases where a consumer needs to cancel services the cancellation fee to be paid is as follows:
- If property has not yet been moved from origin state: cancellation fee of 65% of the total charges plus payment of all storage charges. Cancellation fee does not include delivery back to place of origin. Upon cancellation consumer must pick up the goods themselves or hire a third-party company to pick up the property from the storage facility. Payment in full must be made prior to release of the property.
If property has been moved from origin state: cancelation fee of 90% of the total charges plus payment of all storage charges. Cancellation fee dos does not include delivery back to place of origin. Upon cancellation consumer must pick up the goods themselves or hire a third-party company to pick up the property from the storage facility. Payment in full must be made prior to release of the property.
RESCHEDULE / CANCEL OF SERVICE: Customer understands that all forms of payment methods for deposits are fully refundable within 48 hours of booking reservation. Any cancelation made after this timeframe will result in the forfeiture of the deposit fee(s) paid. The client can postpone or apply the payment to any move services needed in the next calendar year. Cancelation request must be made in writing. An estimate/order may not be canceled, and deposits are not refundable after the mover has begun the physical moving services, including but not limited to packing, loading, storage, transportation to and from the pick-up or delivery address, etc. Moving services may not begin until the contract for service (Bill of Lading) is signed by the customer authorizing the mover to begin services.